You’ve decided to earn the Microsoft Silver Application Development competency, which has been created by merging the Independent Software Vendor (ISV), Software Development, and Web Development competencies. Now you need to know exactly how to go about it. Here you’ll find the steps and requirements that can put you on your way to earning valuable competency benefits.
Note: If you previously held the ISV competency, the Software Development competency, or the Web Development competency you were automatically moved to the new Application Development competency at the beginning of November 2012. To maintain the Application Development competency, you must fulfill the new requirements by your next annual renewal date. For more information, refer to the Application Development competency guide.
Stay up to date on upcoming changes to competency requirements and benefits. Review the changes, so you can ensure you will be in compliance by your next renewal date.
Learn how to earn the Gold Application Development competency.
Competency requirements are designed to closely align with customer needs. The following information is a comprehensive listing of the requirements your company must fulfill to attain the Silver Application Development competency. If you need assistance, contact your Regional Service Center.
Your organization must demonstrate the appropriate credentials by meeting one of the following requirement options.
Your company must employ or contract with two Microsoft Certified Professionals (MCPs) who have each passed one of the following exams:
- Exam 70-483: Programming in C#
- Exam 70-484: Essentials of Developing Windows Store Apps in C#
- Exam 70-485: Advanced Store App Development using C#
- Exam 70-486: Developing ASP.NET MVC Web Applications
- Exam 70-487: Developing Windows Azure and Web Services
- Exam 70-506: TS: Silverlight 4, Development
- Exam 70-511: Windows Applications Development with Microsoft .NET Framework 4
- Exam 70-512: TS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration (This exam will be retired in May 2013.)
- Exam 70-513: TS: Windows Communication Foundation Development with Microsoft .NET Framework 4
- Exam 70-515: TS: Web Applications Development with Microsoft .NET Framework 4
- Exam 70-516: TS: Accessing Data with Microsoft .NET Framework 4
- Exam 70-518: PRO: Designing and Developing Windows Applications Using Microsoft .NET Framework 4
- Exam 70-519: PRO: Designing and Developing Web Applications Using Microsoft .NET Framework 4.0
- Exam 70-521: Upgrade: Transition Your MCPD .NET Framework 3.5 Windows Developer Skills to MCPD .NET 4.0 Windows Applications Developer
- Exam 70-523: Upgrade: Transition Your MCPD .NET Framework 3.5 Web Developer Skills to MCPD .NET Framework 4.0 Web Developer
- Exam 70-583: PRO: Designing and Developing Windows Azure Applications
Resources and next steps:
- Click the exam link in the preceding paragraph to learn what skills are measured.
- Find training to help you prepare.
- Register for an exam at Prometric.
- Chat with an exam expert in real time and get answers to your questions.
Your organization must have one product or application that has passed one of the following application tests:
The following application tests for the former ISV competency are still available and valid, but will be retired in October 2013:
Qualifying gold application tests are also valid toward earning the Silver Application Development competency.
Qualifying applications include developed and marketed, packaged software solutions based on Microsoft technologies. Custom-written applications not meant for resale do not qualify.
Resources and next steps:
For the Application Development competency, the licensing overview assessment is required only for members who earn the competency through fulfilling the exam requirements option. The licensing overview assessment is the same for every competency that requires it.
Your company must employ or contract with one person who has passed the assessment (which then counts toward all silver competencies).
Resources and next steps:
Customer references demonstrate your success at building and deploying solutions relevant to the Application Development competency. Approved references can be used toward earning or renewing a competency for up to two years.
Your company must submit three unique1 customer references2 that showcase custom or commercially available business applications developed on the Windows Azure platform or the Windows Server or Windows operating systems. If your company chooses the application testing option to fulfill the credentials requirements, your customer references must refer to the application that has successfully passed the application test.
Each reference must feature a project that you have completed within the past 12 months and that can be verified with your customer.
To complete your enrollment in the Silver Application Development competency, you must pay the silver competency fee. The fee varies by geography and will be presented to you during the enrollment process.3